Client Privacy Statement
Pets 1st Ltd takes your privacy very seriously and we are committed to handling your information in a secure and responsible manner, in line with the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.
We will need to collect personal information from you under the terms of a contract we have with you. If you choose not to give us this personal information, it may delay or prevent us from meeting our obligations. Any data collection that is optional would be made clear at the point of collection.
We may collect personal information about you from the following processes:
- When you register with us as a client
- When you talk to us on the phone or in our surgeries
- When you use and complete request forms through our website
- From emails and letters you send us
- From pet insurance claims or other documents
- From customer surveys
- When you join our pet health club
- If you take part in our competitions or promotions
The information that we collect includes:-
- Your name and address – so that we can identify you.
- Your telephone number – so that we can contact you to update you if your pet is in hospital or to report on laboratory tests.
- Your e-mail address – our preferred method of reminding you of due treatments
- Details of your pet
This information will be used to send you reminders for vaccinations, parasite treatments and appointments. If you do not wish to receive such reminders then please speak to a member of our reception team.
If you join Pets 1st Pet Health Club, we will also collect your bank details so that we can process the direct debit payments
This data will be stored on our Practice Management System computer which is accessed by password only by employees of Pets 1st Ltd. Any paperwork with identifying data on it is stored in locked filing cabinets in the office.
We may also contact you from time to time in the future by email, text or post to update you on important pet information such as new treatments which may benefit your pet, promotions such as free consultations to check for specific condition and updates from the practice. We will ask for your permission to do this.
We will never sell your personal details onto any third party. Should you choose to change veterinarian we will need your explicit consent to forward your pet’s patient history as this will also, necessarily, include your name and address.
We will update and change any communication methods that we have recorded straight away when requested by you. Just let us know by telephone ( 01784 436367 or 01344 620504), email (email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting one of our surgeries.
We may share your personal data with:
- Your pet insurance company
- Microchip company databases
- Specialist veterinary referral centres with your consent
- Our Practice Management Software support team
- Our professional indemnity insurance company and any legal representatives should a dispute arise
- Our Debt Management Company – Pets 1st Ltd reserves the right to pass on your personal data to our relevant Debt Collection agency should your account fall into arrears and such action become necessary
- If you join our pet health club then data will be shared with Premier Vet Alliance who process the direct debits for us.
In order to generate reminders, some information is shared with Text Local and iRecall. These are read only companies and do not store or share the information.
You have the right to question any information we have about you that you think is wrong or incomplete. Please contact us if you want to do this. If you do, we will take reasonable steps to check its accuracy and correct it.
Subject Access Rights – A request for personal data will be responded to within 30 days and is provided free of charge. Please contact our Data Protection Supervisor – Emma Smith
What if you want us to stop using your personal information?
You have the right to object to our use of your personal information, or to ask us to delete, remove, or stop using your personal information if there is no need for us to keep it. This is known as the ‘right to object’ and ‘right to erasure’, or the ‘right to be forgotten’. There may be legal or other official reasons why we need to keep or use your data. But please tell us if you think that we should not be using it and we will review your request appropriately
We may sometimes be able to restrict the use of your data. This means that it can only be used for certain things, such as legal claims or disputes. In this situation, we would not use or share your information in other ways while it is restricted.
- You can ask us to restrict the use of your personal information if:
- It is not accurate
- It has been used unlawfully but you don’t want us to delete it
- It is not relevant anymore, but you want us to keep it for future use
- You have already asked us to stop using your data, but you are waiting for us to tell you if we are allowed to keep on using it.
We are required by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to keep all patient information for 6 years. If you have not visited us for more than 6 years, all your information and your pet’s medical records will be deleted. If you inform us that you no longer wish to use our practice then we will immediately delete your e-mail and telephone numbers. If you don’t visit us for 2 years then we will delete e-mail and telephone numbers.
How to complain
Please let us know if you are unhappy with how we have used your personal information. You can contact us in writing at: Pets1st Ltd. Runnymede Hill Veterinary Hospital, Tite Hill, Egham, Surrey, TW20 0NB